Drive Setup for YDL

Jonathan Walton yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Wed May 14 00:52:01 2003

> i would be curious to know if there are reasons to put partitions near the
> top/bottom/middle of a disk? aside from hardware or software compatibility
> issues, if one has a choice is there a preference?

I don't know about software preferences, but from a hardware point of
view, hard-drives are typically faster at the front of the disk than at
the back.  I've seen as much as a 2x difference.  That means that
whatever OS you put at the front of your disk is likely to benefit.
[seek times are unaffected, but raw data throughput is higher thanks to
geometry]