Question: Booting YDL 3.0 - miBoot - ext3

Thomas Kuehner yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Wed May 14 05:01:01 2003

Hi Alex

> Which version of miboot are you using? All my experience is based on
> the miboot software that was included in the LinuxPPC distro (LPPC2kQ4
> CD) - when choosing this miboot partition in the Startup disk
> controlpanel, it reads something like v1.0.blabla.

I used the version that shipped with BootX 1.2.2 in YDL3. IMHO the version
is something like 1.02.

> I had the same issue with the yaboot.conf file being ignored, until I
> renamed it to "boot.conf" (that's the reason why I never mentioned
> "YAboot.conf"). There was a post on the linuxppc-user list way back in
> 2000 mentioning that issue. As I have never tested any other miboot
> version, I can't tell whether that still applies to the version of
> miboot that is included in the 1.2.2 version of BootX. As soon as time
> permits, I will try and install that version of miboot to find out.
> Just for the sake of it, try renaming the file to "boot.conf" and put
> it in the root level of your HFS boot partition and see if it then used.

I will try again using "boot.conf"

> As for the issue with the "Linux Kernels" folder your mentioned in one
> of your earlier posts, was that folder on the root level of your HFS
> boot partition as well? It needs to be there for the version of miboot
> I use, not within the fake Systemfolder.

Maybe this had changed from earlier version of miBoot. I placed the folder
on the root level but it was ignored. By mounting the miBoot.img i
discovered a file called zImage ("zett" not "Y") inside. This string I found
in the Sytem file using ResEdit by following miBoot instructions from the
SuSE support database.

> If you have any chance to test these things out, please report back, so
> we all know if things are still the same with the latest version of
> miboot. My YDL 3.0 installation on a PM7500 went smoothly without any
> issues with the old miboot I used.

I have to look through my CD-ROM archive. I should have the 2KQ4 CD anywhere
to try it with the miBoot version you use.

> Hope you got your master block problem fixed!

Unfortunately not. I had to reinstall completely. (Background: a second SCSI
disk with bad blocks destroyed the block by copying files under Mac OS.
Don't know how it altered the linux partition).

I don't hope that miBoot caused the problem. I had my miBoot boot partition
on the second drive while my Linux OS was on the first....

Btw. it was on an testing machine, so no data has been destroyed ;-)

> Greetings,
> Alex
>
> Alexander Holst
> Pforzheim University of Applied Sciences
> <holst@fh-pforzheim.de>
> ph: +49 [0]7231 28-6837
> fx: +49 [0]7231 28-6040

Cheers,