Kernel compiling session - 2.4.20-OW-SCSI-BENH with DEC Ethernet PCI support

Thomas Kuehner yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Sat May 17 13:24:01 2003

Hi all, Hi Alex

today I was compiling a new kernel based on Benh kernel source
powermac-ow-scsi-2.4.20-ben for the UMAX Pulsar (PPC 8500)

I added built-in support - no modules needed - for DEC PCI Ethernet
cards (Farallon and Asante 10/100mBit Ethernet cards for the Mac) and
sym-SCSI support for the UW-SCSI PCI adapters (Formac ProRAID / ATTO
Express).

All worked well after I removed 2 64MB bars of RAM from the machine.
With 272 MB it was unstable, with 144 MB (2 x 64 + 16 OnBoard) it
compiled fine.

Btw. I am writing this while running the system with the new kernel and
the 100mBit Farallon card acts as eth0 perfectly!

The only module that was broken was IPX. So I removed it and compiled
again. I am missing some keystrokes still but this I may fix later...

Compiling the kernel and modules from the source lasted about an hour on
my UMAX Pulsar 233 MhZ 604e, 4,5 GB IBM UW-SCSI @ ATTO Express PCI, 144
MB RAM, Matrox Millenium II MGA and Farallon FastETHER 10/100 PCI. :-)

So far my first impressions. The full kernel package is about 45 MB
(including all modules) and I do not know where to publish it.

If anyone is interested in the kernel package, I will try to post it on
my mac.com site. Tell me.

Have a nice weekend,

Thomas
--