Firewire HDs

Carsten Milling yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Mon May 19 15:44:01 2003

On Mon, May 19, 2003 at 09:37:51PM +0100, Natalia Portillo wrote:
> I think that isnt a question of scripts, if it is solved changing the
> kernel

Well, you have to rescan the scsi bus if you plug in the device after
the kernel modules have been loaded. See
<http://www.linux1394.org/sbp2.html>, where the script mentioned by
Tim is referenced. BTW, you also have to modprobe the ohci1394 module.
I didn't see this in the dmesg output.

There is also a HOWTO on the YDL site:
<http://www.yellowdoglinux.com/support/solutions/ydl_general/firewire_disks.shtml>
It's a bit dated in terms of the kernel version but the main procedure
is still the same. Also note that on a PowerBook you need to unload
all firewire modules before you put it into sleep. Otherwise the
kernel will crash as soon as you access a firewire disk after wakeup.