YDL-3.0: stock kernels lack NVIDIA GeForce framebuffer support

Bill Fink yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Wed May 21 19:17:01 2003

Hi Joseph,

On Wed May 21 2003, Joseph E. Sacco, Ph.D. wrote:

> In a previous posting to the list I asked:
>
>      Is there anyone  out there who is running YDL-3.0 who has XF86
>      working
>      with a 22"LCD display and a NVIDIA GeForce 2MX?  If so,
>      please tell
>      how?
>
> I checked the config file for the stock kernels and discovered in the
> framebuffer section that CONFIG_FB_RIVA was not set.  The absence of the
> requisite framebuffer support would explain why I was seeing garbage on
> the screen when running XF86.

No it wouldn't.  The CONFIG_FB_RIVA is only for console video and
not X.  At least in the past you _needed_ to disable CONFIG_FB_RIVA
in order to get a working X.  You need to specify Driver "nv" in the
Section "Device" of the /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 to get accelerated X.

See:

    http://www.yellowdoglinux.com/support/solutions/ydl_general/nvidia.shtml

for more details.  It may be a little dated at this point but it should
still give some helpful guidance on things to check and do.  It didn't
really address LCD displays so that might require a slightly different
wrinkle, but since I haven't dealt with flat panels yet, I can't be of
more help in that specific area.

						-Bill