Installing mplayer using apt -something is very off in the update of rpm sources from ayo.freshrpms.net

Sergio Valdes-Flores yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Thu May 22 22:52:01 2003

Sergio,
YEAH!!!
the apt package is the CULPABLE...
my second machine is identical..a powerbook pismo
and in that one i tried not to correct -f anything with yellowdog's apt
so I used good ole yum
and having never used it before...quickly learned that the conf should
be pretty
much in line with your rpm liner...and so it was...
i added it to yum.conf
and also created the freshrpms directory in the /var/cache/yum
so i was ready tonite to try a second approach to the identical thing
yeah I installed for my second time using the apt from yellowdog site
the mplayer..again breaking the dependencies
so I used the long way of yum (not as quick)
and yum fixed the world for me
and i noticed that the last upgrade that my system needed through youm
was apt
so there you go..
when i went back at the end of yum upgrade
and did apt-get upgrade
not one dependency was broken
so EXITO
..
there IS something really wrong with apt at yellowdog site
but for a non linux guy like me (mainly os x guy) this is a bit too much
and if the person is computer illiterate
this is too much
what for?
to install xine and mplayer
and then I still on top of everything can't play a dvd movie from my
collection
I was trying to watch a movie of JLopez (jaylo) "Anaconda" low grade
movie she made
forget it...
it doesnt load, that or any other dvd i have
so what's the use
it is too difficult..
something is missing..or something is badly configured
and for a non-expert like me on plugins
this is beyond me
so if u want to help me ..
example: one of the messages from xine was that i dont have xinerama
what the heck is that!!

TE LO AGRADEZCO
estoy perdido
Sergio