"Guide to Installation" my foot!

Ted Lemon yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Sun May 25 16:07:01 2003

What the pamphlet says is that it is an addendum to what you see on
screen as you're installing, not the full information.   Seems pretty
accurate.

The destination is where you want Yellow Dog Linux to go to, not where
you want it to come from.   You can't install on to the CD.   At the
point in the install where you're trying to click on the greyed-out CD,
you need to click on the drive onto which you want to install.

I think you need to go take a walk before you proceed with this, though
- it sounds like you're pretty frustrated, and you might break
something if you keep trying to install with your current state of
mind.   :'(

BTW, in case you think the RedHat installers are perfect, I tried
installing RedHat 9 on my laptop a couple of weeks ago and couldn't,
because although it could boot of the CD-ROM, it couldn't find it once
it booted.   On another computer I tried to install it on, it can't
even boot off the CD-ROM.   :'/

Making a completely bulletproof installer is *hard*.

By the way, I am under the impression that is _is_ possible to upgrade,
rather than just blowing away what you have.   I haven't done it
myself, so I may be wrong, but I've been told by at least one other
person that it's possible.   You might want to read through the mailing
list archives to see if you can learn more.