Success anyhow -- mostly (was Re: "Guide to Installation" my foot!)

Tim Seufert yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Tue May 27 02:03:00 2003

On Monday, May 26, 2003, at 05:18  AM, Beartooth wrote:

> 	Turns out they do themselves an injustice: the install process
> is clearer and easier than RH8, and it avoided or prevented one of the
> two gotchas I encountered with that: my monitor seems to be identified
> and configured correctly.

Was it the same monitor?  The reason I ask is that detection mistakes
are often the fault of the monitor's manufacturer.  Detection uses VESA
DDC, a serial line to the monitor that shares the VGA connector with
the analog RGB signals.  The computer asks the monitor what it is and
the monitor sends back an information block.  It's all too common for
that information to be wrong, sometimes spectacularly so, since for
years DDC wasn't used much in practice and manufacturers could get away
without implementing it correctly.