Observations

S.M.Kelly yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Fri May 30 10:44:01 2003

--=-taTMk5OACkcAWCn4xSBS

Awesome,
Installed with no probs.  However, how do I get it to show up in the
choice of sessions at the GUI login?

Thanks!

On Fri, 2003-05-30 at 11:10, Neben Kabon wrote:

> It appears so...
>
> http://rpmfind.net/linux/rpm2html/search.php?query=fluxbox+ppc
>
> On Fri, 2003-05-30 at 09:50, S.M.Kelly wrote:
> > Any PPC binaries for FluxBox?  I'm interested, but haven't done any of
> > my own compiling yet.  Thanks for the rest of your info!
> >
> > SMK

> > > I have an iBook 700, I've also noticed that Linux runs hotter (and thus
> > > louder) than OSX (or XP on an Intel laptop.)  There are many reasons for
> > > this.  For starters, the HD doesn't spin down nearly as much.  To fix
> > > this you can do several things:
> > >
> > > - Install bdflush
> > > - Fiddle with hdparm to set the sleep delay
> > > - Use Ext2 or at least set the write times for the Ext3 journal for
> > > something quite large
> > > - Disable any unneeded daemons (such as, I would argue, the cron and at
> > > scripts.)
> > >
> > > I suppose throttling the CPU back would help battery life qute a bit.
> > > I'm not sure how this is done, but know it's possible.
> > >
> > > Linux runs a lot of stuff in the background, any of these can wake up
> > > the HD.  With a lot of care, power management in Linux can be pretty
> > > much what it is on OSX or XP, but it takes a lot of fiddling.  FWIW,
> > > I've found the PM stuff for Apple HW to be lightyears ahead of the PM
> > > for Intel HW, it's one of the reasons I like the iBook so much as a
> > > Linux box.

> > > Hmmm.. big surprise!  Yeah, probably just memory leaks/buggy software.
> > > Have you tried something lighter like FluxBox or XFce?  They are very
> > > useable, stable and make Gnome and KDE feel like dogs.  It's hard to
> > > kick FluxBox's tabs once you get used to them.

> > > Yup, this is normal.  It's also quite normal for Linux to always use up
> > > as much RAM as possible, it's just sitting there, so they might as well.
> > >
> > > Cheers,
> > >
> > > Ben

> > --
> >
> > S.M.Kelly

S.M.Kelly
=============================
SMKSensei@Mac.com
"A Windows professional who uses a Mac running Linux."

--=-taTMk5OACkcAWCn4xSBS

<HTML>
<HEAD>
</HEAD>
<BODY>
Awesome,<BR>
Installed with no probs.&nbsp; However, how do I get it to show up in the choice of sessions at the GUI login?<BR>
<BR>
Thanks!<BR>
<BR>