No CDROM issues mentioned at YDL Support

Geert Janssens yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Sat Nov 1 03:27:02 2003

Chris Gehlker wrote:

> On Oct 31, 2003, at 6:59 PM, C Boughton wrote:
>
>> I couldn't find any mention of CDROM issues in the support page.  The
>> first item on the list (currently) is to do with Panther.  Maybe I was
>> too late with my follow-up, I've been away from my computer for a few
>> days.  Any other pointers?
>

> Oops. I responded to the rest of the post and missed this question. Here
> is how to resolve the CDROM issue.
>
> 1) Log in as root. Don't just use su because if you  do, pdisk won't be
> in your PATH.

Here's a little admin trick:

'su -' instead of su, will give you a root shell that is exactly like
the one you get after logging in as root. With 'su -', pdisk should be
in your path.

Personally, I prefer 'su -' in a separate shell. In that way, I can do
my administration tasks without logging out and back in again from a
normal user.