Restoring yaboot

Tim Seufert yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Mon Nov 3 19:27:01 2003

On Nov 3, 2003, at 4:30 AM, Christopher Murtagh wrote:

> On Thu, 2003-10-30 at 15:31, Tim Seufert wrote:
>> On Oct 30, 2003, at 7:43 AM, Andrew Birch wrote:
>>
>>> I found this works great, but the boot from OPTION key to select OS
>>> never works for me,
>>
>> Is it supposed to?  Not all Macs have that feature.  If your Mac lacks
>> AGP you definitely don't have it.  I seem to recall that early AGP
>> Macs
>> lack it too.
>
>  I thought that this is a New World feature, no? My 350 MHz G4
> (Sawtooth) will let me choose which partition to boot from when holding
> down the Option key during startup.  Same goes for my old 500MHz iBook.

It's a feature which was introduced after the New World transition --
not all New World Macs have it.  I know for certain it's not there on
any PCI graphics New World Mac (B&W G3, early iMacs, early iBooks).
Based on the fact that it works on your 350 MHz Sawtooth, I'd guess
it's there on any AGP machine, so long as your firmware is up to date.