Red Hat Announcement

Matthias Saou yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Tue Nov 4 20:47:01 2003

Drew Lane wrote :

> http://www.newsforge.com/software/03/11/03/1657205.shtml
>
> Anyway, I read in the article link above that Red Hat will be
> discontinuing it's free Linux distro.

Plain wrong.
Red Hat's "free" (beer) distro will now be more open and significant
contributions should now come from the existing Red Hat Linux community of
users. Stable releases will happen more often than before. The major
difference is that no paying support will be available for that distro (or
at least I don't think so) and the end of life regarding officially
released updates will be much sooner than previously.

The Enterprise line of Red Hat Linux will be based on it, with a delay just
like it's already currently done in order to not have bleeding edge
technologies or features, but reliable and well tested software instead. It
will also include support, software certifications etc. ... the same as
currently.

I think I'm getting really annoyed with the "alarming" and "threatening"
way this is presented on some major news websites.

Matthias

Fedora Core release 1 (Yarrow) - Linux kernel 2.4.22-1.2115.nptl
Load : 0.11 0.20 0.30