YDL kernel rebuilt question

yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Tue Nov 4 20:47:08 2003

Hello team,

I have a G5 system just bought from Terra Soft with pre-installed YDL 3.0.1.  I have some questions regarding new rebuilt kernel.

After rebuilt kernel successfully with command 'make bzImage', I cannot find boot image 'bzImage' from linux/arch/ppc/boot.  I found some new generated files under linux/arch/ppc/boot/images but none of them looks like bootable image.

Now my question is what is the equivalent way to Linux x86 to rebuild kernel and reboot from new kernel image under PPC, special for YDL? I have YDL 3.01 and linux kernel 2.4.23-pre5 as kernel source and linux 2.4.23-0.5.0a as pre-installed boot kernel.

In another word, what is the new boot image file name and where is it located?  After getting the image file, how do I make it bootable? Just doing the same thing as under x86 by copy the file into /boot and change lilo.conf (yaboot.conf) and reboot?

Here is what I do under x86 platform:
make menuconfig
make dep
make bzImage
cp linux/arch/i386/boot/bzImage /boot
modify /etc/lilo.conf
lilo
reboot with new kernel option.

Is the process of rebuilding kernel and reboot from new kernel different under PPC?

Many thanks for the help!

Eddie