unable to connect to Yellow Dog Linux machine through telnet

R. Hirschfeld yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Sat Nov 22 05:11:02 2003

> Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2003 10:16:23 -0500 (EST)
> From: "nathan r. hruby" <nhruby@uga.edu>
>
> On Fri, 21 Nov 2003, R. Hirschfeld wrote:
>

> > If you require telnet because e.g. some application knows how to act
> > as a telnet client but not as an ssh client, you can get the security
> > benefits of ssh by using its tunneling feature.  For example, if you
> > connect to the destination machine with
> >
> >   ssh -fNL 2323:localhost:23 user@host.domain
> >
> > you can then do
> >
> >   telnet localhost 2323
> >

> This is an awesome solution, but sometimes it's nice to explain what these
> commands do, to give them context and perhaps some additional
> enlightenment..  ssh port forwarding and remote command execution is
> always a bit odd.
>
> The above ssh command means "Hey, ssh, connect to host.domain as user, but
> don't execute any commands on the other machine (-N) just forward port
> 2323 on this machine's localhost interface to the other machine's port 23
> (-L 2323:localhost:23) and after you ask for the password and setup the
> port forwarding, go to the background to give the current terminal back to
> the user (-f)"

Minor quibble: the "localhost" in "-L 2323:localhost:23" refers to the
remote machine rather than the local machine (and is thus different
from the "localhost" in the subsequent telnet command).

Sorry for not providing explanation/context--I assumed that most list
members would either know this already or look it up in the man page
if interested.

Ray