Alternative to yaboot for booting a PPC Linux distro?

Harvey Ussery yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Sat Nov 22 19:55:03 2003

Thanks to Greg Hamilton & others who responded to my question about
booting multiple Linux distros via yaboot. Greg was especially detailed
in describing how to reconfigure yaboot.conf in order to boot both
Debian & YDL. I gave it my best shot, but continued to find that yaboot
could be configured to boot either Debian or YDL (plus OSX), but not to
boot both Deb & YDL. I have concluded that yaboot simply cannot be
config'd to boot both; and something Dan Burcaw of Terrasoft posted
seemed to confirm that. I would be >delighted< if that is not the case,
and if someone can suggest a yaboot.conf config that works.

In the meantime, how can I boot Debian [I am now booted into YDL, my
stable system] without recourse to yaboot? The DebianPPC I am using does
not support the making of a boot floppy. Of course, I can boot into the
Deb install CD & get into a shell. But how can I actually boot the
system--activate the kernel image, if that is the term--from within that
shell?

I have made a mount point for /dev/hda6 (Deb's root partition) & can
mount that partition & cruise Deb's directory system. Is there a way to
boot the Deb kernel image from within that mount point?

Would it be possible to reconfig yaboot to "enableofboot" & then boot
Deb directly from OF upon boot? If so, what is the syntax for the OF
command?

Thanks for advice.    --Harvey