Alternative to yaboot for booting a PPC Linux distro?

Harvey Ussery yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Mon Nov 24 13:06:03 2003

Thanks so much, Stefan, for your very helpful reply. [Thanks also again
to Greg Hamilton, who also helped steer me in working out this config
problem.] I config'd yaboot.conf along the lines you (and Greg)
suggested, and I am now indeed able to boot into both ydl - debian -
macosx (and cdrom). This is the config I used:

boot=/dev/hda2
device=/pci@f2000000/mac-io@17/ata-4@1f000/disk@0:
init-message="Welcome to Yellow Dog Linux!\nHit <TAB> for boot options.\n\n"
timeout=300
install=/usr/lib/yaboot/yaboot
magicboot=/usr/lib/yaboot/ofboot
default=yellowdog

image=/boot/vmlinux-2.4.20-8d
        label=yellowdog
        partition=4
        root=/dev/hda4
        read-only
        initrd=/boot/initrd-2.4.20-8d.img
        append="hdb=ide-scsi"

image=/boot/vmlinux-2.2.20-pmac
        label=debian
        partition=6
        root=/dev/hda6
        read-only
        append="hdb=ide-scsi"

yellowdog=/dev/hda4
debian=/dev/hda6
macosx=/dev/hda3
delay=30
enablecdboot

#Remember to run ybin!!!

Yes, the timeouts are absurdly long, but I wanted time to ponder--will
reconfig later--and there's probably a bit of overkill in the config,
but I wanted to be sure! The one thing that surprised me is that I do
not get all 4 boot options (ydl, deb, macosx and cdrom) at first stage
boot. At that stage I get only:
Press l for YellowDogLinux
        x for MacOSX
        c for CDRom
Then when I press "l" I get:
"Welcome to YDL! Hit <Tab> for boot options"
When I <Tab> I get:
boot:
*yellowdog       debian
If I then type "debian [Enter]" I boot into Debian.
Is this normal procedure, or could I reconfig so that I get all 4
options at first stage boot?

Also, can you tell me what the line
append="hdb=ide-scsi"
means? It was entered to yaboot.conf during install, so I left it in
when I reconfig'd. You have a similar line (append="hdc=scsi") in your
yaboot.conf. Does it refer to the CDRom drive?

Thanks again.    --Harvey