Alternative to yaboot for booting a PPC Linux distro?

Harvey Ussery yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Mon Nov 24 14:31:03 2003

Harvey Ussery wrote:

> The one thing that surprised me is that I do not get all 4 boot
> options (ydl, deb, macosx and cdrom) at first stage boot. At that
> stage I get only:
> Press l for YellowDogLinux
>        x for MacOSX
>        c for CDRom
> Then when I press "l" I get:
> "Welcome to YDL! Hit <Tab> for boot options"
> When I <Tab> I get:
> boot:
> *yellowdog       debian
> If I then type "debian [Enter]" I boot into Debian.
> Is this normal procedure, or could I reconfig so that I get all 4
> options at first stage boot?

Ethan Benson, who runs the yaboot list at
http://lists.penguinppc.org/yaboot-users/2003/yaboot-users-200311/threads.html
confirms that what I have configured is indeed normal:

Is this normal
> procedure, or could I reconfig yaboot.conf so that all 4 options came up
> at first stage boot?

yup.  only the macos options are in the first stage.  all the linux
stuff is in yaboot itself.

this will be fixed in yaboot 2.0