illegal instruction in python

Barry Schiffman yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Fri Nov 28 08:17:02 2003

Has anyone experienced this, or does anyone have an
idea about why.

I ran a relatively simple python script that operates
on a large amount of data. When close to the end of
the run,  all the available RAM is consumed and about
half the swap space.

On my G4-450, with 1 gig of RAM and 1 gig of swap, and
YDL 3.0, the program wrote the result file, but
finished with an 'illegal instruction' message.

On a PC, Pentium-4, 1.7gig, with 1 gig of RAM and 1
gig of swap, and RH 9.0, the same program ran over a
similar sized amount of data, and finished with no
such message.

I couldn't immediately use the same data because of
logistics, but the curious thing is that I could run
the same data on the G4 in two pieces without getting
the message. Of course, during those runs, the program
does not appear to be using swap. (nothing else was
running and swap didn't change). The two smaller files
appear also to be consistent with the one large file
(the data is text and the program is counting certain
co-occurrences, and the result is a file of about 40
megs.)

The kernel on the G4 is from YDL, and is 2.4.19-4a.

The kernel on the PC is from RH and is 2.4.20-8

The problem occurred with python2.2 and python2.3,
both built with gcc 2.95.4.

The PC's python is 2.2.2 (gcc 3.2.2) and comes from
RH.

Thanks,

Barry