building kernel 2.6 on ppc/powerbook

Stefan Bruda yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Sat Nov 29 09:31:03 2003

At 10:59 -0500 on 2003-11-29 Joe Villari wrote:

 > It's pretty simple. After downloading the kernel you want from
 > kernel.org and uncompress it cd into the directory and run  make
 > menuconfig. This will walk you through the compiling options and lead
 > you to the next steps.
 >
 > This works for ANY system.

Yes, but the problem is the kernel source.  Does anybody know where
can one find the PPC-specific patches (preferably benh patches) for
the 2.6-test11 or for that matter any other recent 2.6 kernel?  On
kernel.org PPC patches stop at test4, and I seriously dounbt that a
test kernel will work unpatched on the PPC (somebody please correct me
if I am wrong).

So anybody knows about, I dunno, maybe an rsync mirror for the benh
2.6 kernel tree?  I know I can always go to the bk repository but I am
not familiar with this system and I would sidestep it if it can be
helped (really short on time these days).

I also believe that you need a different modutils package to
successfully compile and install 2.6.  Shesh, I did want to try all of
these out but I have yet to find time, I hope to be able to do this
soon.  Meantime I appreciate any information, as much as the original
poster.

Stefan

--
If it was so, it might be; and if it were so, it would be; but as
it isn't, it ain't. That's logic.