openssh 3.7.1p1 needs a patch to compile against openssl-0.9.7a

Clinton MacDonald yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Wed Oct 1 09:15:01 2003

Patrick:

On Wednesday, October 1, 2003, at 09:49  AM, Patrick Larkin wrote:
> Can someone fill me in exactly how to update my version of OpenSSH?

Now is a good time to check out Yellow Dog's "yum" system for updates
and installations:

<http://www.yellowdoglinux.com/support/solutions/ydl_general/yum.shtml>

According to this page, openssh updates are available from September
17, 2003:

<http://www.yellowdoglinux.com/resources/errata/YDU-20030917-1.txt>

(Note: this page erroneously instructs you to update via "yum update
xpdf," whereas the correct command must almost certainly be "yum update
openssh.")

Keep your eye on this page for further updates:

<http://www.yellowdoglinux.com/resources/errata_ydl30.shtml>

Note: for the following instructions, I am assuming that the correct
name for the openssh package is "openssh" -- unfortunately, I am not at
my YDL machine to check this. :-(

[1] Make sure you are dialed in (if you are on a modem) or logged in
(if you are on a high-speed connection).

[2] Set yourself up as a superuser/root ("su").

[3] Type "yum info openssh" (without the quotes). It should return
information on which version of openssh you have installed. If you are
up-to-date, then you are finished!

[4] Otherwise, type "yum update openssh". If Terra Soft has already
updated their versions of openssh to incorporate the security fixes,
then all sorts of stuff should happen at this point; be patient. If
not, then try again in a week or so.

Te deum!

Best wishes,
Clint

--
Dr. Clinton C. MacDonald | <mailto:clint DOT macdonald AT sbcglobal DOT
net>