OT: Need some shell scripting hints ;)

Atro Tossavainen yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Thu Oct 2 01:38:01 2003

> I'm stuck with writing a shell script that is supposed to read a text
> file line by line.

Use the "read" command in the shell.

#!/bin/sh

while read x
do
	some stuff with $x
done

Run this as "script < file"

Using "read" gets rid of the annoying problem in Nathan's suggestion
that Konstantin pointed out that a "for" loop over `cat $file` would
not loop over entire lines, but instead over whitespace-separated
words in those lines too.

--
Atro Tossavainen (Mr.)               / The Institute of Biotechnology at
Systems Analyst, Techno-Amish &     / the University of Helsinki, Finland,

File attachments NOT welcome unless agreed to beforehand.