special caracters on german keyboard

Lukas Müller yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Thu Oct 2 04:07:01 2003

--Apple-Mail-2-882648853
	delsp=yes;
	charset=ISO-8859-1;
	format=flowed

Hi Alexander,

thanks very much for your help and information, i appreciate it. the @ =20=

is now no problem, as well as |. but its really wired, the "{ } [,]," =20=

doesnt work. how do you access them on your keyboard? i used fn-alt-8 =20=

for { as an example on OSX but it doesnt work on YDL.

i saw the instructions of Christoph Ertelt but i got alread stocked =20
when i didnt find usr/sbin/kdbconfig on my YDL3.0 distribution to =20
activate the mapping. is it because he described that for YDL2.0, so i =20=

doesnt apply for my version?

look forward to get some more hints :-)

cheers

lukas

On Monday, September 29, 2003, at 08:12 PM, Alexander Holst wrote:

> [...]
>>
>> hi,
>>
>> i have successfully installed YD on my G4 powerbook. just one small =20=

>> problem left: how can i set my [alt]-XY buttoms to tap for example an =
=20
>> '@' (on OSX [alt]-l) and all the other special caracters. i have a =20=

>> german keyboard?
>
> I have YDL on serveral machines her at school, all with german =20
> keyboards. In Linux there is a difference between the left and the =20
> right "Alt" key! The left key is simply "Alt" but the right one is =20
> "AltGr", which will give you the desired characters. The keyboard =20
> layout is PC-style, so the most important characters are:
>
> @ =3D "Right Alt" "Q"
> | =3D "Right Alt" "<"  that is the "<" left of "y"
> \ =3D "Right Alt" "=DF"  that is the "szlig" right of the "0"
> [ =3D "Right Alt" "8"
> ] =3D "Right Alt" "9"
> { =3D "Right Alt" "7"
> } =3D "Right Alt" "0"
>
> In order to get the "Right Alt" key on my iBook (model 2002) running =20=

> YDL 3.0, I have to depress the "fn" key prior to depressing the "Alt" =20=

> key. After that, every "extra" characters can be typed this way. To =20=

> get "@" this means: "fn"-"Alt"-"Q", to get "|" this means: =20
> "fn"-"Alt"-"<". In order to switch consoles, I have to type (depressed =
=20
> in this sequence!) "Alt"-"Ctrl"-"fn"-"F1" to get to the first console. =
=20
> "Alt"-"fn"-"F7" will get me back to X.
>
> As your email address suggest, you are located in Switzerland - I do =20=

> not know, if your keyboard layout is the same as ours, you might have =20=

> to try different keys, in order to find the desired characters. To =20
> accomplish this, just open a Text Editor and try the whole keyboard =20=

> with "fn"-"Alt" keys depressed. Maybe a Swiss PC keyboard will give =20=

> you some hints - I used a German PC keyboard to find the most used =20
> "alted" characters.
>
> I case you want to remap the "AltGr" key to the "Apple" key, aka. =20
> "Command" key, follow the simple howto written by Christoph Ertelt =20
> update by Thomas Ley at:
>
> http://www.yellowdoglinux.com/support/solutions/ydl_general/=20
> keyboard_german.shtml
>
> To get the complete Apple keyboard layout will take a lot of =20
> remapping, for the console as well as for X - so I simply memorized =20=

> the PC-style key mappings. If anyone has alredy done this, please =20
> contribute the results to the YDL site, or post on this list, thanks > =
;)

> Hope this will get you up and running Linux!
> Alex
>
> p.s.: I just attached an Apple extended USB keyboard with optical =20
> mouse to the iBook - it was recognized without reboot! Great work YDL =20=

> :)!
>
> Alexander Holst
> Pforzheim University of Applied Sciences

Lukas M=FCller
In H=E4tzelwisen 2/1
CH - 8602 Wangen
phone:	+ 1 76 328 67 26
mail:	luc@deluc.ch
web:	www.deluc.ch

--Apple-Mail-2-882648853

Hi Alexander,

thanks very much for your help and information, i appreciate it. the @
is now no problem, as well as |. but its really wired, the "{ } [,],"
doesnt work. how do you access them on your keyboard? i used fn-alt-8
for { as an example on OSX but it doesnt work on YDL.=20

i saw the instructions of Christoph Ertelt but i got alread stocked
when i didnt find
my YDL3.0 distribution to activate the mapping. is it because he
described that for YDL2.0, so i doesnt apply for my version?

look forward to get some more hints :-)

cheers

lukas

Am Samstag, 27.09.03, um 20:01 Uhr (Europe/Berlin) schrieb
yellowdog-general-request@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com:

<excerpt>Message: 4

i have successfully installed YD on my G4 powerbook. just one small
problem left: how can i set my [alt]-XY buttoms to tap for example an
'@' (on OSX [alt]-l) and all the other special caracters. i have a
german keyboard?

</excerpt>

I have YDL on serveral machines her at school, all with german
keyboards. In Linux there is a difference between the left and the
right "Alt" key! The left key is simply "Alt" but the right one is
"AltGr", which will give you the desired characters. The keyboard
layout is PC-style, so the most important characters are:

@ =3D "Right Alt" "Q"

| =3D "Right Alt" "<<"  that is the "<<" left of "y"

\ =3D "Right Alt" "=DF"  that is the "szlig" right of the "0"

[ =3D "Right Alt" "8"

] =3D "Right Alt" "9"

{ =3D "Right Alt" "7"

} =3D "Right Alt" "0"

In order to get the "Right Alt" key on my iBook (model 2002) running
YDL 3.0, I have to depress the "fn" key prior to depressing the "Alt"
key. After that, every "extra" characters can be typed this way. To
get "@" this means: "fn"-"Alt"-"Q", to get "|" this means:
"fn"-"Alt"-"<<". In order to switch consoles, I have to type
(depressed in this sequence!) "Alt"-"Ctrl"-"fn"-"F1" to get to the
first console. "Alt"-"fn"-"F7" will get me back to X.

=
http://www.yellowdoglinux.com/support/solutions/ydl_general/keyboard_germa=
n.shtml

To get the complete Apple keyboard layout will take a lot of
remapping, for the console as well as for X - so I simply memorized
the PC-style key mappings. If anyone has alredy done this, please
contribute the results to the YDL site, or post on this list, thanks ;)

Hope this will get you up and running Linux!

Alex

p.s.: I just attached an Apple extended USB keyboard with optical
mouse to the iBook - it was recognized without reboot! Great work YDL
:)!

Alexander Holst

Pforzheim University of Applied Sciences

<<holst@fh-pforzheim.de>

ph: +49 [0]7231 28-6837

fx: +49 [0]7231 28-6040

</excerpt>Lukas M=FCller