Mounting a second HDD, Still.....

mascarasnake yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Thu Oct 2 15:02:02 2003

On Thu, 2003-10-02 at 16:44, Stefan Bruda wrote:
> Hi.
>
> At 14:47 -0400 on 2003-10-2 mascarasnake wrote:
>  >
>  > mount -t hfs /dev/sda /mnt/macos
>  >
>  > and I receive:
>  > mount: mount point /mnt macos does not exists
>
> Well, create it. ;-) Do as root:
>
> mkdir /mnt/macos
>
> It is also the case that /dev/sda is a whole device, which you cannot
> mount.  Indeed, what you mount is a partition, not a device--even for
> a disk having only one (user-usable) partition.
>
> Looking at the partition table below, I believe that what you need to
> do is
>
> mount -t hfs /dev/sda6 /mnt/macos
>
>  > this is my fstab file (the only thing I've added to it is the las sda
>  > line):
>  >
>  > /dev/hde8	/ 		ext3 	defaults 1 1
>  > none 		/dev/pts 	devpts  gid=5,mode=620 0 0
>  > none 		/proc 		proc 	defaults 0 0
>  > none 		/dev/shm 	tmpfs 	defaults        0 0
>  > /dev/hde6 	swap 		swap 	defaults        0 0
>  > /dev/cdrom 	/mnt/cdrom 	udf,iso9660 noauto,owner,kudzu,ro 0 0
>  > /dev/sda 	/mnt/macos 	hfs 	noauto,user,rw  0 0
>
> Same idea here: you do not want to mount /dev/sda, but one partition
> (number 6 it would seem), so the last line should be:
>
> /dev/sda6 	/mnt/macos 	hfs 	noauto,user,rw  0 0
>
> You should be then in business.
>
>  > This is the partition list for the sda:
>  >
>  > Partition map (with 512 byte blocks) on '/dev/sda'
>  > #:                type name             length   base    ( size )
>  > 1: Apple_partition_map Apple                63 @ 1
>  > 2:      Apple_Driver43*Macintosh            54 @ 64
>  > 3:      Apple_Driver43*Macintosh            74 @ 118
>  > 4:  Apple_Driver_IOKit Macintosh           512 @ 192
>  > 5:       Apple_Patches Patch Partition     512 @ 704
>  > 6:           Apple_HFS "stiffy"        2133072 @ 1216    (  1.0G)
>  > 7:          Apple_Free Extra                 7 @ 2134288
>
> Stefan

Thanks a ton, Stefan. If you read more on this thread, I eventually
figured it out. I forget sometimes how forgetful I can be. I am, however
going to reward myself with some Ice Cold Fire Brewed Libations. If not
for a job well done, at least a job done!

                               Bossa Nova

                              masarasnake
                        dontdrill@earthlink.net