Installing (not updating) YDL 3.0 from working YDL 2.3 w/o boot install?

Dr. Robert M. Fuhrer yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Sat Oct 4 12:28:01 2003

[...trying again with a more clear subject line...]

I'd like to install YDL 3.0 on a fresh set of partitions so
as not to overwrite my YDL 2.3 install.

I've tried running the installer from BootX and the supplied
ramdisk and CD images, but:

  - the graphical installer dies with either an X server crash
    or kernel oops at random spots before the install completes

  - the text installer sets up a bogus keymap that makes the
    keyboard essentially unusable, and it doesn't recognize the
    install CD

So, is there a way to run the installer from within a working
YDL 2.3 install w/o using the boot installer?

FWIW, I've got a PowerTower Pro with a Sonnet Crescendo/PCI
G4/800 upgrade.

Dr. Robert M. Fuhrer
rfuhrer@ba-dsg.net