OT: Need some shell scripting hints ;)

Michael Baer yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Tue Oct 7 15:25:01 2003

    Alexander> Hi, I'm stuck with writing a shell script that is
    Alexander> supposed to read a text file line by line.

    Alexander> My goal is to have some sort of a loop that is passed
    Alexander> through once for every line in my text file and ends
    Alexander> after the iteration for the last line.

    Alexander> Something like:

    Alexander> while [ readTheFile TextFile.txt LineByLine into LINE ]
    Alexander> do
    Alexander> 	some stuff with $LINE # for every line one iteration
    Alexander> done

    Alexander> Anything like:

    Alexander> for LINE in (every line of TextFile.txt) do
    Alexander> 	some stuff with $LINE # for every line one iteration
    Alexander> done

    Alexander> would do the trick too.

    Alexander> Either it is too late allready, or I can't get the
    Alexander> syntax right.  Any help/ideas appreciated,

Since no one suggested it (and admittedly it doesn't quite fit your
shell requirement), but depending on what you're actually after, you
might consider perl.

e.g. change all lines in thefile.txt with 'Red Hat' in them to
'Yellow Dog'.

/usr/bin/perl -p -i -e 's/Red Hat/Yellow Dog/g' thefile.txt

- Mike

--
ydl@mikesoffice.com