New G4 Powerbook Video (Radeon Mobility 9600) Problems

Ed McKnight yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Fri Oct 10 03:37:01 2003

I just turned in my "old" G4 15" Powerbook for the newer model and got a
whole passel of problems.

The most obnoxious is that there is no video support for the video chip
they upgraded to: the ATI Radeon Mobility 9600. I think the older
powerbook had the 9000 which has video support.

If I had had an inkling I'd never have "upgraded" :(

The YDL supported hardware page says this video isn't supported but
gives no clue about the future.

Does anyone have any info about whether this chip might ever be
supported/have an available driver for Linux (ppc)? ATI refers us to our
hardware vendors--in this case Apple.

thx,  --emk