New G4 Powerbook Video (Radeon Mobility 9600) Problems

Atro Tossavainen yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Wed Oct 15 08:58:01 2003

Disclaimer: I will not provide any sort of support for what I'm about to
suggest.  Do not contact me off the list.

>     As an experienced Mac person but a newbie to Linux I might like to
> try what you describe.  But could you be more exact?  I don't
> understand "Unpack, cd xc, make World".  Please be brutally precise.

Unpack the file you just downloaded with "tar xjfv thatfile" into a
directory where you have enough room to hold it.  When you have
finished building, the package will take a little over 600 megabytes,
so that's how much you should have available.

Issue the command "cd xc", which will take you to the top-level
directory of the XFree86 distribution.

Issue the command "make World", which will build the entire XFree86
distribution.  On a 1 GHz Xserve, it took a little over half an hour.

If you're ready to trust me instead of cooking your own (which I probably
wouldn't be...), get the following files.  They are from the latest
development version, XFree86 4.3.99-14.  I will obviously not provide
any sort of guarantee to these working on your machine, much less any
sort of support for them.  I made these on YDL 2.3, but I don't see why
they shouldn't work on 3.x releases, too.

<URL:http://www.biocenter.helsinki.fi/~atossava/YDL/XFree86.bz2>
<URL:http://www.biocenter.helsinki.fi/~atossava/YDL/modules.tar.bz2>

Use wget to download these into a temporary directory.  Unpack the
first file with the command "bunzip2 XFree86.bz2".  Rename your
existing XFree86:

	mv /usr/X11R6/bin/XFree86 /usr/X11R6/bin/XFree86.old

then, in the temporary directory you're in,

	mv XFree86 /usr/X11R6/bin

Go to the /usr/X11R6/lib directory.  Rename the modules directory:

	mv modules modules.old

Unpack the second file:

	tar xjfv (wherever_you_put_it)/modules.tar.bz2

Restart X.  You should now have the latest and greatest development
XFree86 version.  I'm not responsible for anything this might do to
your machine, you're following my advice and using my files at your
own risk.

--
Atro Tossavainen (Mr.)               / The Institute of Biotechnology at
Systems Analyst, Techno-Amish &     / the University of Helsinki, Finland,

File attachments NOT welcome unless agreed to beforehand.