BIND on dynamic cable

Atro Tossavainen yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Wed Oct 22 00:36:01 2003

> I have a cable modem connection with dynamic IP (yet it doesnt change
> so often.) So if i configure and run BIND can I get away with not having
> to run a dynamic dns service to redirect my domain name to my computer
> ip address?

If you are willing to act as your own manual "dynamic DNS", then yes.
I don't think it's sensible, though.

Every time your IP address changes, you will have to make changes to
your domain registration to indicate the new address of the domain name
server, i.e. your own computer, or otherwise your domain will be un-
resolvable (as third parties can't find the name server that would know
the right address).

I would guess that doing things the way you do now is much less of a
hassle, and not running one more service is good for your security.

--
Atro Tossavainen (Mr.)               / The Institute of Biotechnology at
Systems Analyst, Techno-Amish &     / the University of Helsinki, Finland,

File attachments NOT welcome unless agreed to beforehand.