New modem for B&W G3

Tim Seufert yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Thu Oct 23 14:51:01 2003

On Oct 23, 2003, at 10:05 AM, Michael George wrote:

> I've a friend with an old B&W G3 with no modem.  He wants to add one
> to it and asked me how we would do that.  I am not all that
> well-versed with USB for linux (either platform) so I'm not sure if we
> should scour the internet for an internal (if this model can even
> support it),

It does.  If you look on the back of the machine, above the I/O ports
there will be a little metal panel about 1" on a side secured by a
screw.  That's the opening for the modem.  The modem itself measures
about 1.5" x 1" x 5", with a RJ-11 jack on one end and a flex cable at
the other.  The RJ-11 end screws into the place where the metal panel
is, and the flex cable connects to the motherboard.

You may be able to find one on ebay.  There are two kinds, the Apple
OEM and a compatible Global Village modem marketed to people in your
friend's situation.  I don't remember whether there's any important
difference.  (In fact I seem to vaguely recall they may be very similar
due to the Apple OEM being OEM'ed from Global Village or something like
that.)

>  or if a USB modem will work with YDL, or if we should get a
> USB-->RS232 adapter and use an external modem...

Check this page for device compatibility if you want to try USB:

http://www.qbik.ch/usb/devices/