Restoring yaboot

Andrew Birch yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Thu Oct 30 08:44:01 2003

A few things I've found that differ from the How-To on YDl's site.

When re-running ybin:

Boot from the Cd and at the prompt type "linux root=3D/dev/hdaxxx" {enter}
instead of "cd-linux root=3D/dev/hdaxxx"

>From this point the boot loader will pickup the boot processes off the
hardrive and you'll be in.

Then from a root console, run /usr/sbin/ybin , to reset yaboot.

I found this works great, but the boot from OPTION key to select OS never
works for me, and the Reset Firmware option doesn=B9t seem to work anymore,
either.

On 10/30/03 8:58 AM,
"yellowdog-general-request@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com"
<yellowdog-general-request@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com> wrote:

> Message: 4
> From: Tim Seufert <tas@mindspring.com>
> Subject: Re: Restoring yaboot
> Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2003 22:41:33 -0800
> To: yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
>=20
> On Oct 29, 2003, at 10:53 AM, Tim Shubitz wrote:
>=20
>> Michael,
>>    Did you even try what I suggested? That setting is stored in NVRAM
>> which can be reset by zapping the PRAM. Every time that I've installed
>> a newer version of OS X, betas, etc. on other partitions I have on my
>> PowerBook the boot partition is set to whatever I just installed. I
>> password-protect my laptop via OpenFirmware which gets in the way of
>> PRAM zapping. I disable the OpenFirmware password, restart, zap the
>> PRAM and voila. Every time. Give it a whirl and see what happens.
>=20
> It won't work in Michael's case.  After a PRAM zap, there is no boot
> partition set (the boot-device OF variable is blank).  In that
> situation, Open Firmware scans attached drives for the first bootable
> partition it can find.  As he said, on his system, that's a MacOS 9
> partition, not the Linux boot partition

--=20
AB&A, Inc.
4033 Plymouth Road
Minnetonka, MN. 55305-5005

+1 (952)-201-3172 wireline and mobile
+1 (952)-960-1302 fax
http://www.birchassociates.com
"We work not only to produce but to give value to time."   - Eugene
Delacroix