Restoring yaboot

yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Thu Oct 30 14:05:01 2003

about zapping the pram and getting the first bootable partition:
does this mean the first bootable partition in the order of their
names  hda1, hda2, etc, or in terms of their physical position on
the disk?

for example: i reformatted my iBook2 hard disk with free space first,
and mac os 9 and mac os x partitions at the end. then i installed
YDL 3.0.

the linux partitions got higher partition numbers than the mac partitions,
because they were added later, in free space.

later i updated the drivers on my hard disk with FWB's Hard Disk Toolkit,
the partitions got renumbered in their physical order, linux before mac.

would zapping the pram have worked in the earlier state (good physical
order, wrong logical order)?

while on the subject of odd questions, but otherwise completely different:
some people tell you that when you rebuild your kernel you have to
put the kernel source in /usr/src and you should have a link "linux"
in that directory, to the directory containing the source.
other people tell you to keep away from the /src/linux area
when recompling the kernel, since you don't want to
have other programs taking headers for the library which belongs
to the "kernel du jour" rather than the kernel which was around when the
libraries were built.

can anyone clarify this?

richard gill.