AbiWord [ was Re: Openoffice Update]

Michael A. Peters yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Tue Sep 2 02:42:01 2003

On Mon, 2003-09-01 at 13:49, Geert Janssens wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> I noticed that Terrasoft pushed an update for Open Office in the update
> repository. Eager to test it, I tried yum update openoffice.
>
> This failed though, stating I needed more diskspace. Odd, since I have
> over 1 Gb free on /.
>
> I checked the filesizes and noticed that openoffice-libs is suddenly 430
> Mb (!) compared to 40 Mb in the base installation.
>
> Dan & co, isn't this a little oversized ?

Not to undermine the OO.o project - but AbiWord 2 beta is really sweet,
has much better word compatability than AbiWord 1.0.x - and is a very
good release. AbiWord 2 final I think is due out in about a week or two.

On my "fast" Athlon XP 2700+ OO.o is slow. AbiWord 2 beta is fast,
gnumeric 1.1,19 (1.2 beta) is fast. The pair certainly doesn't do
everything OO.o does - but I suspect most users of OO.o use it primarily
for word processing and spreadsheet.

I really would recommend taking a look at the NEW AbiWord and Gnumeric
packages - both will be released as non beta sometime this month, and
both are very very good applications. AbiWord 2 also has an OS X native
build (which OO.o won't have for some time apparently).