yum update induces instability

Dan Burcaw yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Tue Sep 2 23:29:01 2003

On Tue, 2003-09-02 at 21:19, Stefan Jeglinski wrote:
> How do I downgrade after using yum to upgrade? Do I just rpm -e
> --nodeps and go back to the rpms on the CD?

rpm --oldpackage -Uvh

> I performed several yum updates today. Frankly, I didn't write them
> all down, I guess I should have, but I figured the process was safe.
> In particular, I recall an entire set of XFree updates.
>
> After running YDL 3.0 for 3 weeks now with nary a single problem, the
> yum updates have left me with an almost unusable box: *three* hard
> lockups (can't even ssh in) in the roughly 75 min since I did the
> updates. Too much of a coincidence, I'm afraid. And wholly
> unacceptable I might add. If I wanted OS9 or Win98, I would have
> installed them.
>
> I'm familiar with the Microsoft solution (reinstall and lose
> everything). Does YDL offer anything better? I don't think it's
> really due to yum per se as much as perhaps an incompletely-tested
> set of updates.

Feel free to provide more specific data. The XFree86 update is
identical to what shipped in YDL 3 plus a) imstt drive not compiled in
previously b) nvidia ddc patch used for PB 17".  Said XFree86 update has
been shipping on pre-install machines for sometime now with no problem.