USB disk?

Stephen Harker yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Tue Sep 9 17:42:01 2003

On Tue, Sep 09, 2003 at 09:42:18AM -0400, eps22 wrote:
> I have a USB drive, but don't know how to mount it, or how to get it to
> appear on my desktop, using YellowDog 3.0 on a 12-inch ibook.  Any
> advice?

I have done this with both a flash memory disk and a hard drive.  The
USB drives (and firewire) are mounted through SCSI emulation.  After
you connect the drive you should be able to see it by the command `cat
/proc/scsi/scsi'.  For a first external drive it should be /dev/sda.

To mount the flash drives (single partition) I created a mount point
`sudo mkdir/mnt/usb' (or you can su to root if you don't have sudo set
up) and finally mounted it with the command
`sudo mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/usb'.

It is a little more complicated in the case of a hard drive since
there are multiple partitions.  You can see what the partitions in
/dev/sda by `sudo pdisk -l /dev/sda' and if the partition you want to
mount is partition 4 and hfs formatted then mount it with
`sudo mount -t hfs /dev/sda4 /mnt/usb'.

This stage is much the same as the mounting stage for firewire drives
through SCSI emulation described in
http://yellowdoglinux.com/support/solutions/ydl_2.3/firewire_disks.shtml
which can be read for more information.

Unmounting and disconnecting USB drives is simpler than firewire.
Simply `sudo umount /mnt/usb' then you can unplug the drive.

--
Stephen Harker                           Stephen.Harker@spme.monash.edu.au
School of Physics and Materials Engineering