3.0 install w no CD?

Andrew Stout yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Sat Sep 13 23:35:01 2003

Hi all--

Here's a chance for all you YDL enthusiasts to be creative:  I have a
Wallstreet G3 Powerbook that I'd like to put YDL 3.0 on, so I can take
steps towards becoming a genuine linux user.  The catch is, this
computer has seen better days:  the cd-rom drive and battery are both
shot, as is (I think) the clock battery.  I figure the clock ought to
be okay 'cause I can just use a network time server, and I'll keep it
plugged in, so no biggie on the battery.  It's got a new hard drive (20
Gig) and plenty of RAM (288 Meg).  Ethernet works fine.  But the cdrom
presents a bit of a problem.  How can I get YDL onto this computer?

I have at my disposal, in addition to the target computer, the
following tools:
- YDL 3.0 CDs, burned from iso 'cause I'm a broke student
- An external SCSI CD burner (4x write, ?x read), which connects to the
Wallstreet
- An external SCSI 8G hard drive, which also connects to the Wallstreet
- A phat PBG4 running OS X, in good working order
- A Netgear ethernet switch, connected to a cable modem, and plenty of
patch cables
- lots of other things I don't expect to be relevant, including older
YDL CDs, firewire hard drives and airport (Wallstreet has neither
interface), a Power Mac 7300/180 in unknown condition, etc.

The most obvious solution would be if I could boot off the SCSI
interface...anybody know how to tell my Wallstreet to do that?

Eagerly awaiting suggestions,

Andrew Stout