3.0 install w no CD?

Andrew Stout yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Sun Sep 14 10:00:01 2003

Clint--

Thanks for your reply!  A few minutes after posting, I found the key
combo for booting off SCSI (cmd-opt-shift-delete)...guess I should
learn to Google first.  Anyway, last night I wiped the drive and
repartitioned with a 2Gig partition for MacOS and the rest unallocated,
ready for YDL.  But then it got late and I had to go to bed.  =)

Soon I hope to move along on the install, but it's something I have to
do in spare moments between mountains of homework (I'm a grad student).
  My next big concern is, how do I let the installer know where to find
the YDL CD?  Any hints?

On Sunday, September 14, 2003, at 10:32 AM, Clinton C.MacDonald wrote:

> Andrew:
>
> I am a Linux newbie, so I don't know all your YDL answers. But, I own
> a Wallstreet PowerBook G3 (currently running YDL), so I might be able
> to address those questions.

Great!  It's always nice to know there are other people out there
who've done it.

> As you suspect, you might be able to get by without the main battery
> (but you will be much happier with *some* battery power -- $80-90 on
> eBay). The clock battery (PRAM battery, actually) is a bigger issue,
> however. Many Macs will not even boot without a PRAM battery. If you
> are having problems beyond remembering the date and time, you might
> consider replacing the PRAM battery ($12 at Radio Shack).

Well, it boots, and it keeps time at least for a while...so I think I'm
okay.  I had thought about getting a new battery in the past, but I
can't really justify sinking too much money into this machine, what
with having the new one and all.

> When you install YDL, it wouldn't hurt to be attached to the cable
> modem. This will help in configuring your network connection, greatly
> speed up the boot process, and allow you to install the many megabytes
> of updates to YDL that were made available since the disk images were
> burned. For instructions on installing updates, check out
>
> <http://www.yellowdoglinux.com/support/solutions/ydl_general/yum.shtml>

Good to know.

> The Wallstreet is an "Old World" Macintosh, which means you must boot
> off a normal Mac OS partition for installation and every time before
> booting up Yellow Dog Linux. A Control Panel called BootX is essential
> for this process. This is less complicated than it sounds, and

I knew this much (I've actually had YDL on this machine before, when it
was in better shape, but I never did much with it).

--Andrew