B&W G3 drive problems

Michael George yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Sun Sep 14 10:37:01 2003

I'm having one heck of a time with YDL 3.0 and this B&W G3 300MHz
system.   A friend got it used from a school and it has a 6GB drive w/
9.2.2.  I want to make it dual-boot with 9.2.2, so I got a MDT 20GB
drive (made by Western Digital) and hooked it up.  Right now only the
20Gb drive is on it, as I'm waiting for an ATA100 cable to connect them
both.

I had trouble with the GUI install failing, so I did the safe mode
install and it seemed to work okay the 3 or 4 times I've done it.

After installing, though, the system won't boot.  The first try, it got
through the state1 bootloader and then croaked on the 2nd stage.  I
reinstalled, thinking I'd done something wrong.  Since that time, it
won't even recognize the disk on boot, but it will when installing.

I read something about a possible 8GB limit on the / partition, so I
reinstalled with /dev/hda3 being 8190MB rather than the rest of the
disk, as autopartition wanted to do.

Same thing happened, at boot I get the flashing folder with the "?" on
it.

So, I thought I'd test the setup with an OSX install onto that disk.  I
booted that CD and it got to the "pick a disk" and it didn't even list
the HDD!

I was wondering about a possible firmware update on the B&W that might
accommodate large HDD's, but didn't find any through Apple or Google.

I have the disk "jumpered" (actually to jumper it as Master is to have
no jumper) as the master and plugged onto the tiny little cable that it
came with.  Maybe I need to set it to cable-select, instead...

I'm going to put the OS 9.2.2 disk back on to see that it still boots
it, to make sure the ATA controller hasn't gone south on me.

Anyone have any useful suggestions for how to proceed?  I've checked
the past 4mos of mailing list archives, but found nothing to solve the
problem.

Surely there are people running YDL3.0 on B&W G3's, so it has to be
possible.  If I need to, I can put YDL on the 6Gb drive and use the
20Gb as other parts of the filesystem, but I'd like to know that's the
only way to go before I dismantle that installation.  And I'd really
like to have the system be dual-boot with each OS on it's own drive...

Thanks!
-Michael

P.S. Is there a way to search all the archives for strings?  I'll I've
found so far is that I can list the archive contents by subject,
author, and thread, but that might allow me to miss something useful...
  Thx!