Memory Creeping Up

Stefan Bruda yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Mon Sep 15 13:40:01 2003

Hi.

At 14:04 -0500 on 2003-9-15 Ben Ricker wrote:

 > You need to provide much more information here. What process(es) are
 > taking the memory that is creeping up? MySQL?

Also keep in mind that Linux uses a caching system to speed up the
creation of processes and other things.  As well, you may find buffers
which can be discarded when needed but do show up as used memory in
top.  In a nutshell, the apparently full memory may not be full at
all.

Ergo, first thing to do is to make sure that the full memory is really
full (as opposed to apparently full because of the caching system
etc.).  One tool that lets you figure this out is xosview
(http://xosview.sourceforge.net/); here the red part of the bar shown
the cache memory which is not really used memory.

My guess is that you are alright in fact, since on all the machines I
take care of it is also the case that after a couple of days I see an
apparent fully used memory.  But then do check it out because it may
be something else.

Stefan

--
If it was so, it might be; and if it were so, it would be; but as
it isn't, it ain't. That's logic.