xinetd

Ben Ricker yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Mon Sep 15 13:46:01 2003

There are basically three ways to spawn daemons:

1. Though init scripts within the rcX.d directories, where 'X' denotes
the runlevel you are currently running at (3 is multiuser without a gui
and includes rc2.d as well (or is that just on Solaris).

2) Through xinetd. The services are enabled when the 'disabled' property
is set to 'no'. To disable an unneeded service, set 'diabled' to 'yes'.
You need to restart xinetd after doing this. Likewise you can remove the
file from the directory, but it is cleaner to disable it.

3) An admin (or even user, depending on their rights or the daemon
involved) can start a daemon from command line. To stop the daemon, you
use the 'kill' command.

HTH,

Ben Ricker