Wireless through PCMCIA...Anyone?

Longman, Bill yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Tue Sep 16 12:18:01 2003

> Subject: Wireless through PCMCIA...Anyone?
>

> There seems to be a few who have got wireless networking through the
> PCMCIA slot on their Powerbook G3.  While it is pretty simple
> to add a
> hermes file to Mandrake to get it working, I would prefer to
> have it in
> Yellow Dog.
>
> I am using an orinoco class card.  The yenta-socket driver(?) appears
> to be missing, as I can't even get power to the card.  Anyone
> have the
> definitive guide to getting YDL 3.0 working over wireless?
> Sure seems
> like TerraSoft would post a how-to on something this important...

I've had only a little bit of trouble getting this to work, Scott.

I have a PB 3400c and I've noticed that the pcmcia start is really hokey. It
just doesn't come up.

I have a script that looks like this:

   #!/bin/sh
   modprobe pcmcia_core
   modprobe yenta_socket
   modprobe ds

   exec service pcmcia start

and since I wrote this, I haven't had a problem. I just run this after it's
booted and life becomes happy and gay once again.

I don't understand why you don't have yenta_socket. All the modules I needed
were installed for me. Take another look through the RPMs, perhaps.

Bill