Retrospect Client

Chris Johnson yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Wed Sep 17 08:50:10 2003

Hello,

Has anyone managed to install the Dantz Retrospect Backup Client (v 6 or
6.5) on yellowdog linux 3. Dantz claim that it will work with all Red
Hat distributions above 7, on i386 hardware. I thought since YDL 3 is a
port of RedHat 9 it might work, even though YDL runs on PPC hardware....
but it didn't. I can't get it to work anyway.

The install script they provide gives you some feedback:

[root@hal root]# ./Install.sh
Install Retrospect Client? (y/n): y

./Install.sh: line 119: /usr/local/dantz/client/retroclient: cannot
execute binary file

Adding RETROSPECT_HOME to system profile and login scripts...Done!
Before attempting to use any of the GUI components of the Retrospect
Client,
you must have both the RETROSPECT_HOME and DISPLAY variables set.  The
RETROSPECT_HOME variable should point to /usr/local/dantz/client.  We
have
modified your /etc/profile and /etc/.login files to set this value for
future
logins.  The retrospect client launched as part of this installation
process
will also have this variable set.  However, if you kill that client and
restart it without logging out, you will need to set these variables
manually.
Starting client as daemon...

/usr/local/dantz/client/rcl: line 20:
/usr/local/dantz/client/retroclient: cannot execute binary file

Installation was successful, but Retrospect Client for Linux could not
be started. If this is an upgrade, please wait 5 minutes, then start
the client manually by running  $ /usr/local/dantz/client/rcl start

But the I can never get the retroclient daemon to start, it always fails
with a "cannot execute binary file" error.

I have also tried the rpm installer which fails because of a lack of
dependency "ld-linux.so.2"??

I'm guessing that my efforts are in vain, as the "installer" they
provide is merely a shell script that places other scripts and binaries
in various places, and does not actually compile from source.

Anyone got this to work?

Thanks in advance,

Chris Johnson