PPC 8500/150 running ?Newtech? G3 processor

Clinton MacDonald yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Wed Sep 17 14:48:01 2003

Chris:

On Wednesday, September 17, 2003, at 02:45  PM, Chris Bacon wrote:
> I posted this a while back but was never able to get it solved. I have
> a PPC 8500/150 and I purchased Yellowdog Linux. I got this PPC from a
> sale and there was no cds.

I remember this discussion, and I think an answer was posted (though
you might not have liked the answer).

> I want to wipe out the whole hard drive and load YDL without any MAC
> software but I was instructed to create a boot cd.

You cannot do what you want to do. You cannot load YDL without a
Macintosh partition (no matter how small) containing the Mac OS. You
cannot even partition the drive without either the Mac OS install CDs
or some expensive third party software.

Your best solution is to bite the bullet and purchase a Macintosh OS
installation CD. Here's one source:

<http://eshop.macsales.com/Item_Specials.cfm?ID=5913&Item=APLOS91CD>

I am also sure you could purchase Mac OS installation CDs from eBay (OS
8.1 through 9.1 should be sufficient).

Sorry for the bad news. :-(

Best wishes,
Clint

--
Dr. Clinton C. MacDonald | <mailto:clint DOT macdonald AT sbcglobal DOT
net>