stalling loading gnome

Nick Ash yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Thu Sep 18 19:17:01 2003

Hi, I recently have installed ydl 3.0 on a PowerCenter
Pro 180 and have been unable to fully load a windowing
system. The install was a breeze and all components
were accurately detected during the install (ie. video
card and monitor). I successfully configured checking
the time&date over the internet after the first
reboot. My problem is after I login, then the
terrasoft splash screen disappears after the
'keychain' icon, the computer freezes. All other
consoles become nonreactive.

If I first login via text console everything works
fine, that is, until I try startx then I enter the
same condition as above.

I am using BootX and all the hardware works fine under
MacOS 8.1 and have not had a problem besides replacing
the cdrom.

I installed the 'desktop' packages with gnome and no
kde due to my small hd (2Gb). I have logged in with
failsafe and can load mozilla but I want a full
graphical desktop. I am a competent user but not much
of an adm. Any recommendations or ideas of where the
problem is - just a starting point would be great.

Thanks,
Nick