USB printer prints nothing

Stephen Harker yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Sun Sep 21 17:27:01 2003

On Sun, Sep 21, 2003 at 05:21:28PM +0200, Charles Trois wrote:
> I have a curious problem with cups.
>
> Here is my setup:
> 15" LCD iMac
> Epson SC 740 USB printer
> YDL 3.0
> Kernel 2.4.22, CONFIG_USB_PRINTER=y

What printer drivers are you using with CUPS?  I have had success with
several Epson printers (for example a EPSON Stylus C40UX) using
CUPS+GIMP-print v4.2.3.  Some other versions of the GIMP-print drivers
have not been successful for me, nor were some of the other drivers
such as the cups-drivers-hpijs.  Currently I am using these drivers
from a manually compiled and installed version.  From the system I have

rpm -qa | grep gimp-print
gimp-print-cups-4.2.1-5
gimp-print-utils-4.2.1-5
gimp-print-4.2.1-5

But these don't work for me.  The latest (and some older) versions of
the gimp-print drivers may be obtained from
http://gimp-print.sourceforge.net/ and is pretty easy to compile and
install.

> Device URI: usb://Unknown?serial=d420f000/

I get the following:

Location: USB port
Printer State: idle, accepting jobs.
Device URI: usb://EPSON/Stylus%20C40?serial=L68010108211923310

I _think_ they just mean the serial number (but have never checked).

--
Stephen Harker                           Stephen.Harker@spme.monash.edu.au
School of Physics & Materials Engineering