Alexander Holst yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Mon Sep 22 11:07:01 2003

Am Montag, 22.09.03, um 15:53 Uhr (Europe/Berlin) schrieb
yellowdog-general-request@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com:

> Message: 7
> Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2003 00:14:56 -0700
> To: yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
> Subject: can't scan, print, toast or format a floppy
> From: Robert Persson <ireneandrobert@telus.net>
>
> I have installed YDL 3.0 on my Power Mac 8600 and have the following
> problems.  I do not know if they are related or not,so I have put them
> together here in case they are.
>

> 1.  I can't format a floppy (even though I can dd to them and mount
> them).
>
> When I try to format a floppy the following happens:
>
> [root@localhost robert]# fdformat /dev/fd0
> Double-sided, 80 tracks, 18 sec/track. Total capacity 1440 kB.
> Formatting ...
> ioctl(FDFMTBEG): Inappropriate ioctl for device

Can't really comment on that, but maybe only root can do that?

> 2.  I can't print.

Can't comment on that :(

> 3.  I can't scan.

Can't comment on that either :( I have a Microtek Scanner and Xsane
works fine with it on my beige G3, no matter which device I use
(/dev/scanner or /dev/sgx)

> 4.  I can't toast CD's.
>
> I have a Yamaha CRW8424 on the internal MESH scsi chain and guess
> what? It
> works fine under MacOS and is correctly recognised by kudzu.
>
> Actually it is also recognised by cdrecord (using xcdroast as a front
> end)
> and makes lots of promising noises as I start a simulated write.  But
> it
> doesn't get very far.  The scrolling messages say:

> input buffer ready,
> sending CVE sheet...

I assume that reads: sending CUE sheet...
Which means you are trying to burn a CD in DAO (Disk At Once) mode, try
and uncheck DAO in xcdroast. I had the same issue with a Yamaha
CDRW4416 - unchecking DAO in xcdroast did the trick for me :) -
although my CDRW should be able to do DAO, but I guess only for audio
CDs. The CUE sheet usually contains the gaps between the individual
(audio) tracks, which doesn't make any sense when writing data CDs, so
I guess there is no CUE sheet to be sent and therefore xdroast ends up
in an infinite loop. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Greetings,
Alex

Alexander Holst
Pforzheim University of Applied Sciences
<holst@fh-pforzheim.de>
ph: +49 [0]7231 28-6837
fx: +49 [0]7231 28-6040