reading a ydl partition from X

yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Tue Sep 23 05:18:02 2003

Will:

On Monday, September 22, 2003, at 05:57  PM, Will Wade wrote:
> I had ydl 3 running on my imac and now due to it croaking Im trying to
> read the drive over firewire. The mac OS9 partition loads up and I
> "think" I can see the partition I want but cant get the mount -t to
> work.

Hmmmm.... I'm not sure exactly what you mean here....

>    6:            Apple_HFS untitled             2048000 @ 1216
> (1000.0M)
>    7:      Apple_Bootstrap untitled               20481 @ 2049216   (
> 10.0M)
>    8:      Apple_UNIX_SVR2 swap                  262145 @ 2069697
> (128.0M)
>    9:      Apple_UNIX_SVR2 untitled             8388609 @ 2331842   (
> 4.0G)
>   10:      Apple_UNIX_SVR2 untitled           230534269 @ 10720451
> (109.9G)

What this means is, hda6 (aka /dev/disk1s6) is your HFS partition
(i.e., your Mac partition). hda9 and hda10 are your Linux partitions,
probably formatted as ext2 or ext3. One of these is probably your "/"
directory, and the other is probably your "/home" directory. hda8 (aka
/dev/disk1s8) is a special Linux-only partition known as a "swap"
partition. "swap" is what the Linux/Unix folks call virtual memory, in
which unused data from your RAM are temporarily loaded to your hard
drive. There is no data stored on this partition, nor should you be
able to mount it in Mac OS 9, OS X, nor in Linux. All the other
partitions (#1-5, and #7) are technical partitions, and don't store any
data.

I hope this is helpful!

Best wishes,
Clint

--
Dr. Clinton C. MacDonald | <mailto:clint DOT macdonald AT sbcglobal DOT
net>