Screen too far to the left

Stefan Bruda yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Tue Sep 23 08:18:01 2003

Hi.

At 23:09 +1000 on 2003-9-23 Diego Barros wrote:

 > I am running YDL 3 on a summer 2001 iMac. I have noticed that the
 > screen is a little too far to the left with the first two or three
 > characters of a terminal or gnome display being chopped off. Is
 > there a setting I can change to move the screen around?

I did face the same problem and I used xvidtune to obtain a centered
screen and then I inserted the obtained modeline in my XF86Config.
Since your and my iMac models are close, here is the modeline I
use:

ModeLine   "1024x768"   78.5 1024 1033 1129 1308 768 769 772 796 +hsync +vsync

You may want to give it a shot (and adjust it with xvidtune in case it
doesn't work for you as is).

This works for X.  For the console, I inserted the following in
/etc/rc.sysinit, just after the filesystems are mounted:

if [ -x /usr/sbin/fbset ]; then
    echo  "*** FBset fixup ***"
    /usr/sbin/fbset -a -t 12738 187 13 24 1 96 3
fi

Up to this point boot messages are still chopped but then one cannot
use fbset prior to its partition being mounted...

Again, the arguments to fbset were obtained by trial and error.

I have asked some time ago this list for a cleaner solution but I did
not get any response so I would assume that there does not exists a
better way of doing it.

Stefan

--
If it was so, it might be; and if it were so, it would be; but as
it isn't, it ain't. That's logic.