Screen too far to the left

Stefan Bruda yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Wed Sep 24 07:03:00 2003

Hi again.

At 17:33 +1000 on 2003-9-24 Diego Barros wrote:

 > Guys, thanks for taking the time to reply. On my display I changed the
 > left margin from 187 pixels to 200 and it looks fine. That was in text
 > mode. In X I noticed that it's still not right. Does X run fbset on it's
 > own and readjusts things again?

Yes, sort of.  In the sense that X relies on the framebuffer settings
but these settings are obtained in a different way.  In X the screen
dimension (positioning, etc,) is governed by timing information
provided in the configuration file (/etc/XF86Config).  Open that file
in your favourite editor, look for a section called "Monitor" and
insert in this section a new mode line.  My respective section looks
like this:

Section "Monitor"
    Identifier   "Monitor0"
    ModelName    "iMac Monitor"
    ModeLine     "1024x768" 78.5 1024 1033 1129 1308 768 769 772 796 +hsync +vsync
    HorizSync    30.0 - 130.0
    VertRefresh  50.0 - 160.0
    Option      "DPMS"
EndSection

(it does not look quite like this actually, but the idea remains).
Incidentally, the above mode line works for me nicely on my older iMac
(2001 or something).  The mode line was obtained by using xvidtune: I
modified the timing parameters using this application until the screen
looked right, and then I pressed "Show" and pasted the displayed mode
line into /etc/XF86Config.

Have fun,
Stefan

P.S.  Rick thanks for the suggestion, it does make a lot of sense.

--
If it was so, it might be; and if it were so, it would be; but as
it isn't, it ain't. That's logic.