Raid 5 on a Rack Mount Dual 1ghz power pc G4?

eniac yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Thu Sep 25 14:12:01 2003

I don't belive raid 5 is in OS X server yet.   I'm not impressed anyhow.
 I've been running raid at work with OS X for about 8 months, and to be
perfectly honest, I don't feel in control of the arrays.  I have an
xserve with 4 120GB drives in her.  I've had 2 arrays of 2 disks apiece,
with 1 volume holding the OS, and the other volume acting as the active
service storage (http, ftp, file sharing...whatever).  Right now I'v got
currently running a RAID 0 of 3 disks giving me a ton of unsafe but
usable space, and the OS installed on a partition of the other 120.
I've had several incidents where the application of a software update
causes one of the disks to fall off the array in the RAID 1 config.
 I've never had data loss, but one of the two drive decieded to not come
up on boot.  A resyncing of the array was nessesary.  This has happened
twice with the RAID 1 configuration.   The current RAID 0 seems much
more robust and capable, but its just big, not safe.

do it on linux, here's the howto
http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Software-RAID-HOWTO.html

Software RAID under linux (I've had experience with RAID 1 and RAID 5
under 2.4.x) is very nice.  It is feature-full to say the least, easy to
get statuses and check on things, and ts reliable hell.  I've done flat
out stupid things to test it like 'cat /dev/urandom > /dev/hdg'  to one
disk element of the raid set while writing data to the filesystem that
is provided by that same set, pulling drives at the wrong times (mid
filesystem writes), and then checksumming the files.   All of the above
testing was done on a G4 with 3 120GBs, on a ydl 2.3 box.

Here is the howto.  PPC doesn't change the gamemuch, but you may have to
recompile with RAID options, I dont' know if YDL ships with this
compiled in.