Raid 5

eniac yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Thu Sep 25 14:12:15 2003

I belive raid 5 is not yet in OS X server.  I've been running raid 1 at
work with OS X for about 3 months, and to be perfectly honest, I don't
feel in control of the arrays.  I have an xserve with 4 120GB drives in
her.  I've had 2 arrays of 2 disks apiece, with 1 volume holding the OS,
and the other volume acting as the active service storage (http, ftp,
file sharing...).  Right now I'v got currently running a RAID 0 of 3
disks giving me a ton of usable space and the OS installed on a
partition of the other 120.

I'm not impressed.  I've had several incedents where the application of
a software update causes one of the disks to fall off the array.  I've
never had data loss, but one of the two drive decieded to not come up on
boot.  A resyncing of the array was nessesary.  This has happened twice
with the RAID 1 configuration.   The current RAID 0 seems much more
robust and capable, but its just big, not safe.  Software RAID under
linux (I've had experience with RAID 1 and RAID 5 under 2.4.x) is very
nice.  Featurefull to say the least.  Its reliable, I've done flat out
stupid things to test it like 'cat /dev/urandom > /dev/hdg' randome data
to one disk of the raid set while writing data to the filesystem that is
provided by that set.